Mississippi State Department of Health Observes Fire Safety Week
This page has been automatically translated from English. MSDH has not reviewed this translation and is not responsible for any inaccuracies.
October 4 through 10 is National Fire Prevention Week, and the Mississippi State Department of Health (MSDH) encourages all Mississippians to take steps to safeguard their loved ones and property against fire.
In 2008, 69 Mississippians lost their lives to fire: five of them were children younger than 15, and 27 were seniors aged 65 and older, according to the MSDH Bureau of Vital Statistics. In Mississippi, African Americans are twice as likely to die as the result of a fire than Caucasians.
Take these steps to prevent fire injuries and deaths:
- Purchase smoke alarms for your home and check their battery power once a month.
- Develop a fire escape plan for your home that includes two ways out of every room and an outside meeting place.
- Make sure windows and doorways open easily. Plan and practice a home fire drill.
- Regularly inspect your home for fire hazards.
- Never leave children unattended near hot stoves or burning candles, even for a short time. Children should cook only under adult supervision. Teach children not to play with matches or lighters.
- Keep a safe distance from a fireplace, wood stove or other type of heater where clothes could easily catch fire. Use fireplace screens and inspect and clean fireplaces each year.
- Turn off room heaters, lights, stereos, TVs, and other electrical equipment when not in use.
- Use heavy safety ashtrays if you smoke in the home, and discard ashes and butts in metal, sealed containers.
For more information about fire safety, contact the MSDH Division of Injury/Violence Prevention at (601) 576-7781.
CONTACTS: Office of Communications, 601-576-7667
Receive latest health news from MSDH by e-mail: subscribe today
Press Contact: Liz Sharlot, Carol Jones or Elizabeth Grey, (601) 576-7667.
Get weekly restaurant inspections and more by e-mail:
Last reviewed on Oct 2, 2009