The MSDH Office of Emergency Planning and Response safeguards the health of individuals, ensures the delivery of essential health and medical services, and prepares health professionals for all types of emergencies and natural disasters.
- Mississippi Responder Management System (MRMS)
- Tornado Cleanup and Response
- More topics for professionals
- Overview of MSDH Response Efforts PDF
Recent activities and response efforts
MSDH's Office of Emergency Planning and Response has worked to significantly improve Mississippi's emergency response capability. In place now are:
- A Biosafety Level 3 laboratory with advanced pathogen detection equipment
- 17 Weapons of Mass Destruction Centers of Excellence in hospitals across the state
- The satellite-based Health Alert Network, connecting 13,000 Mississippi physicians and facilities
- A distribution system for emergency medication from the Strategic National Stockpile
- State and regional bioterrorism response plans and coordinators
- Nurses trained in bioterrorism issues and diseases in locations statewide.
- 24/7 information hotline (1-866-HLTHY4U)
MSDH's Office of Emergency Planning and Response is a National Weather Service Weather-Ready Nation Ambassador, committed to improving the nation's readiness against extreme weather, water and climate events.